I had a ripe avocado that was begging to be used before I leave for Tucson, Arizona tomorrow. I wanted something light and summery to match the beautiful weather we’ve been having here in Southern California. Enter my inspiration: Lemonade!
Category Archives: heirloom tomatoes
I first visited Lemonade during my first blogger meet-up back in August, and fell in love with their avocado, cherry tomato and pine nut salad tossed in a lime vinaigrette. I’ve been dreaming about it for months!
Avocado, Heirloom Tomato and Walnut Salad
(inspired by Lemonade)
1 ripe avocado
2/3 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tsp olive oil
1 tablespoon cherry balsamic vinegar
1. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
2. With the tip of a sharp knife, trace a checkerboard design into the flesh of the avocado and gently scoop the diced flesh into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the heirloom tomatoes and walnuts to the avocado.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the juice of the lime, olive oil and cherry balsamic vinegar and whisk until emulsified.
5. Pour the dressing over the avocado, tomatoes and walnuts and gently toss to cover.
Makes two servings.
If you don’t have cherry balsamic, any balsamic vinegar will do. The balsamic MADE the salad! Don’t skip that ingredient!
This salad is buttery, tangy and refreshing, with a nice crunch from the added walnuts. I have a feeling I’ll be making this a LOT over the holidays for my brother and his wife who are both vegans, and visiting from snowy Colorado. One of the perks of living in California is having avocados year round! I have to share the wealth!
Another perk is hiking in 68 degree weather while the rest of the country is spiraling into a deep, cold winter.
I’m off to Arizona again tomorrey!