I made pancakes for breakfast. Again.
We only had about 2 cups of spinach in our fridge this morning – definitely not enough to make three Monstas for three hungry roommates, so I decided to create something new, exciting, and scary!
Green Monsta Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup whole grain rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup soymilk
2 cups spinach
1 small carrot
1 teaspoon vanilla
Soymilk to thin out the batter
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Put the first five wet ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Stir 1 1/2 cups of the spinach blend into your dry mix and whisk until smooth.
4. My first batch ended up too thick and didn’t cook all the way through, so I added another 1/4 of a cup of soymilk to thin it out. Use your own discretion – that’s what makes it fun!
Frightening! This might be good for breakfast on Halloween…
5. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into a large greased pan.
This doesn’t look appetizing…
6. Let the pancakes cook through for a few minutes, and flip them when the bubbles around the edges pop.
Since there’s banana blended into the mix, they tend to caramelize pretty quickly.
7. Cook the pancakes for another 3-4 minutes, then attempt to serve them in an appetizing fashion. This will prove to be very difficult.
See what I mean?
I’m not sure this angle helps it at all…
This was an interesting try for me… The pancakes tasted like banana pancakes, but had a bitter aftertaste due to the raw spinach, and I don’t know how to get rid of that for next time – maybe steam the spinach beforehand?
I’m going to go gargle some mouthwash for a bit. Okeybye!
Any suggestions to get rid of the bitterness without adding an artificial sweetener?