I did a lot of cooking yesterday, but decided not to bombard you with every recipe in one post. I felt that the bread pudding needed to be shared first because it was so epic, but here’s another dish that is a saga in itself. Bonus: it’s vegan!
Butternut Squash Apple Soup with a bite! – Printable version HERE
(adapted from Martha Stewart to be vegan/vegetarian)
1 tbsp Nucoa
1 onion, chopped
1 butternut squash
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
A pinch of ground cinnamon
A pinch of ground nutmeg
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/3 cup soy creamer
1. Assemble your ingredients. (I didn’t have all the ingredients that Martha’s recipe calls for so I just grabbed whatever I could find in my kitchen.)
2. Combine all your seasonings into a small dish.
Mise en place, baby!
3. Slice your butternut squash into rounds, trim off the skin and scoop out the seeds.
4. Chop the squash rounds into inch-long squares.
5. Peel, core and chop the apples into the same size squares as the squash.
6. Heat the Nucoa (or olive/vegetable oil) over medium heat in a large pot, then add onions and sautee until transparent (about four minutes).
7. Add the chopped squash and sautee for another fifteen minutes.
8. Throw in the chopped apples, spices and vegetable stock, then top with water until all the vegetables are just barely covered in liquid.
9. Bring the pot to a boil, then set it to low, uncovered for 40 minutes.
10. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup into a blender and blend it in batches until smooth.
I left some texture in mine so it didn’t feel like I was eating baby food.
11. Stir in the soy creamer and add some freshly ground black pepper.
12. Ladle into a bowl and top with any garnish you like: sliced jalapenos for extra bite, caramelized pecans or, if you’re not vegan, a small scoop of goat cheese for a little extra tang.
This soup is delicately sweet and comforting with a hidden spicy bite that warms your stomach and makes you want to stay on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket all day, reading a book or watching the Food Network.
I LOVE AUTUMN!
2 Responses to Butternut Squash Apple Soup!
Mise en place – look at you, gettin' all Food Networkin' up in heeya. 🙂
I'm fanatical when it comes to cleanliness. Nothing better than sitting down to a meal and having the kitchen be clean already. I'm weird 🙂