Feeling nostalgic for Christmas yet? That’s where I come in – to take you back to that magical time, four whole days ago, so you can live in the peaceful, magical feeling that Christmas always brings.
Silent night, holy night.
All is calm, all is bright.
Christmas Eve always brings the reading of “The Night Before Christmas“, viewings of “A Christmas Story” and the prepping of foods for Christmas Day. It’s been a tradition in our family, since before I was born, to have Eggs Portugal on Christmas morning. This savory bread pudding has tender pieces of sausage, strings of cheddar cheese, delicate mushrooms and nutty whole wheat bread.
Eggs Portugal – Printable recipe HERE
8-10 slices whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
3/4 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb sausage, browned
1.5 tbsp prepared mustard (aka yellow mustard)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
5 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
2.5 cups milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup apple juice
1. Butter a 9×13″ casserole dish.
2. Place bread cubes in bottom of dish and top with cheese, then sausage.
3. Beat the eggs with milk and mustard and pour over the top.
4. Refrigerate overnight. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
5. Before baking, stir together soup, apple juice and mushrooms and pour over the top of the casserole.
6. Bake at 300 F for 2 hours, uncovered.
7. Enjoy with a glass of apple juice or cider. (Also VERY important to enhance enjoyment!)
NOW it feels like Christmas!